Spanish 1A — 7th Grade
¡Bienvenidos a la clase de español!
The goals of this course are to develop speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills in Spanish while gaining an understanding and an appreciation of the various cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. You will be using the Descubre series, which includes your Etext on your iPad, as well as supplementary workbook pages, video clips, and language lab activities to work on oral comprehension and expression.
You will also increase your cultural awareness and linguistic skills through activities on your iPad, research projects, art, music, and cooking. The cultural focus of 7th grade Spanish is an introduction to the geography and cultures of the diverse Spanish-speaking world, with specific units on Spain and Costa Rica. You should expect class to be conducted primarily in Spanish.
- Be respectful to yourself and others at all times.
- Arrive to class on time, prepared, and eager to learn.
- Listen actively to me and to your classmates.
- Understand that everyone will have different learning styles and different strengths when learning a language.
- Be supportive of your classmates, especially when they are speaking in the target language.
- Take good care of your materials for class and everything that you use in this classroom.
- Take risks!!
- Have fun!!
"Essential Questions" for Spanish Class
- Why study Spanish?
- How are Spanish and English similar and different?
- Where is Spanish spoken in Massachusetts, in the USA, in the world and why?
- Why do Spanish-speaking people immigrate to the USA?
- How are language and culture related?
- How does learning Spanish make me a better global citizen?
Trip to Costa Rica
Every other year during March vacation, the 7th and 8th grade Spanish students will have the opportunity to visit beautiful Costa Rica. Through the language school CPI (PanAmerican Language Institute), students live with host families, take Spanish classes, engage in community service, explore Costa Rica's natural beauty such as volcanoes and rain forests, and immerse themselves in the language and culture. To learn more about CPI’s program, visit their website at www.cpi-edu.com