Upper School Visual Art Long Term Substitute
About Bancroft School
Bancroft School is a community of students, faculty, administrators, and parents working together to create an atmosphere of engaged and active learning where students discover their unique paths with joy and confidence. Students are empowered to celebrate and deepen their curricular excellence and embrace their talents to emerge as leaders, humanitarians, and globally engaged citizens.
Bancroft is a PreK - Grade 12 independent day school located in Worcester, Massachusetts — a thriving city with a rich history and a bright future and one in which the school is deeply invested. Founded in 1900, the School’s 30-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood north of downtown Worcester. 400 students come from 63 cities and towns around central Massachusetts and represent a wide variety of different backgrounds and experiences that contribute to the unique and diverse learning environment. The school is committed to cultivating a community that embraces diversity and an inclusive campus in which each individual is safe, known, and valued. Bancroft students and faculty are committed to honoring the dignity of the individual and the celebration of difference.
In January of 2020, the school unveiled a 5-year strategic plan, BluePrint125 — a product of extensive internal investigation and collaborative discussion among the School’s many constituents. In recent years, the School has made significant investments in campus enhancements to improve energy efficiency, air quality, and public safety; and create flexible, multi-functional spaces in the school buildings, music wing of the Performing Arts Center, and new Field House.
Bancroft School seeks an experienced, talented teacher who is looking to work in a school where passion and innovation are encouraged and supported. Bancroft School seeks a dedicated and dynamic educator to teach 9th -12th Courses in Ceramics and either Digital Media or Studio Art. There is the potential to teach Middle School 6th-8th grade art as well. We are looking for a good fit and have flexibility in terms of full or part time and area of focus.
- Implement Upper School Art Curriculum
- Teaching, committee work, and other assigned duties
- Coordinate art displays as necessary
- Participate in all aspects of School life and community
Essential skills and experience
- A master’s degree in art or education is strongly desired
- A minimum of 3-5 years teaching experience is preferred
- Commitment to inquiry-based learning and thoughtful curriculum design
- A knowledge of pedagogy, specifically art instruction and creative expression
- Ability to differentiate, teach a variety of learners, and understand adolescent development
- Fosters the growth of fine motor skills, art vocabulary, art history, and contemporary practice
- Comfortable working in painting, printmaking, ceramics, drawing, sculpture, and more
- Commitment to integrating 21st century skills
- Organized, detail oriented, and able to multitask
- Excellent communication skills — verbal and written
Essential attitudes and aptitudes
- A continued interest in your art practice and professional growth
- A compassionate and student-centered educator who fosters mutual respect
- A collaborative spirit to work closely with colleagues, administration, and families
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive global curriculum and classroom
Bancroft seeks dynamic candidates who will be active participants in the community beyond the classroom, with additional interest in overseeing extracurricular activities in athletics, clubs, and activities. Bancroft is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference and welcomes candidates who will add to the racial and cultural diversity of our community.
Bancroft School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we subscribe to all federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination of any sort in our hiring practices.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, personal statement, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org