International Exchanges & Study Tours
A key goal at Bancroft is to help students become citizens of the global community. Our cultural exchange programs and study tours contribute to this goal, offering unique opportunities for students to become immersed in different cultures, strengthen language skills, visit sites of historical and cultural importance, and make new friends in other parts of the world.
Registration takes place in early spring for the following school year.
Middle and Upper School students and their families each year have an opportunity to host visitors from another country for about 10 days. Our host students then in turn travel abroad over spring break to be hosted by the same students in their home country. Exchange students participate in classes and take excursions during the week. Evenings and weekends are generally left free so that the visiting students can participate more fully with host families and soak up the local culture as much as possible. Bancroft exchange students are accompanied by faculty members. On alternating years, we typically offer the following exchanges for foreign-language students and others:
- Spanish: US exchange with a high school in Malaga, Spain
- French: US exchange with a high school in Meaux, France
- Mandarin Chinese: Classroom exchanges with sister schools in China
Bancroft’s academic departments also offer study tours for students who wish to immerse themselves in a particular language, culture, or academic area. Study tour scheduling varies, but trips are typically offered every other year. Examples include:
- Spanish: MS Spanish and service trip to Costa Rica
- French: MS French trip to Montréal and Québec City
- Latin: MS trip to Rome and Pompeii, US trip to sites in Roman Britain and France
- Mandarin Chinese: MS and US student trip to China
- Art: Italy, France, and Spain museum tours for art students
- Science (Summer Courses):
Galapagos Field Research & Cultural Exchange
Bermuda Marine and Island Ecology Course