Founded in 1900 by a group of Worcester parents interested in providing a rigorous education for their children, Bancroft is the oldest coeducational Pre-K–12 independent day school in Central Massachusetts.
The First Half-Century
The founding families named the School in honor of George Bancroft (1800–1891), a Worcester native and accomplished scholar, Secretary of the Navy, Ambassador to Prussia and England, and renowned historian. The original charter formed a corporation... “for the purpose of providing a complete school training for boys and girls of all ages, Kindergarten, Primary, Intermediate, and Academic Departments.”
The School opened in a large house at 93 Elm Street in Worcester, Massachusetts. By 1902, Bancroft had outgrown that facility, and a new school was constructed at 111 Elm Street.
From the founding until 1913, Bancroft was coeducational at all grade levels. Beginning in 1913 the School continued to admit both boys and girls through Grade 8, but only girls in the Upper School.
In 1919 the School added Gray Gables, a boarding component, and continued to attract resident students until 1943. At that time, the Trustees decided to discontinue the residency program and focus on a mission as an independent day school.
In 1922, in order to accommodate an enrollment of over 250 students, Bancroft moved from Elm Street to larger quarters on Sever Street. The latter building is now a part of Becker College.
The final move to the present site at 110 Shore Drive took place in September 1958. Since the move to Shore Drive, the School has continued to grow to its present enrollment of 520 students.
Toward Our Global Future
To ensure that the School is always ready to meet current and emerging program challenges, Bancroft has continually built new facilities and renovated existing structures on our 30-acre campus.
Over the years, such improvements have included a new gym, additional Upper School classrooms and offices, a state-of-the-art Technology Center, a new kitchen, an expanded Bookstore, and a multipurpose room.
In addition, a new Multimedia Language Learning Center has enhanced the Foreign Language Department’s program, the Harrington Auditorium has undergone physical and technical modernization, and we've expanded the Performing Arts Department facilities.
Bancroft completed a renovation of the Fuller Science Center in 2002, and opened the spacious McDonough Center to house the Lower and Middle School programs. With an eye toward our future needs, Bancroft has also purchased property at 100 Shore Drive, adjacent to our present location.
The School took a major step toward our goal of environmental sustainability in 2010 by installing 462 high-efficiency solar panels on the roof of the McDonough Center. In 2011, we added another 434 panels on the Fletcher Athletic Center. With a total of 896 panels, Bancroft School now has the single largest solar electric system in the City of Worcester.
Even more important than the buildings and facilities, however, are the people—the students, faculty, and parents—who have defined the Bancroft community for more than 110 years. With more than 3,000 living alumni, Bancroft continues to live our mission of preparing young people to be lifelong learners, teachers of others, and citizens of the globe.
Heads of School
||Frank H. Robson
||Bradford M. Kingman
||Edith J. Jones, Acting Head
||Henry D. Tiffany
||Elizabeth Vandermoer, Acting Head
||Marigolden G. Tritschler
||Theodore G. Sharp
||Wyatt Garfield, Interim Head
Edgar A. Gauthier, Interim Head
||Scott R. Reisinger