Each year, Bancroft encourages students to submit their work for consideration in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, a national contest for students in Grades 7–12. We're thrilled to announce that our students were honored with 7 Gold Key Awards; 6 Silver Key Awards; and 14 Honorable Mentions in the Massachusetts Regional Scholastic Awards sponsored by the Boston Globe (winning pieces are listed below). All Gold Key work from the Regionals is automatically considered for the National awards.
Martha Fortier, chair of the English Department, commented, "I am so proud that so many of our student writers received recognition for their talent! I want to thank the English faculty for their excellence in teaching both analytical and creative writing, and for their promotion of student expression and voice." Bob Dec, chair of the Art Department, shared similar sentiments. “We have some phenomenal student artists and photographers in our community. It is wonderful to see their gifts acknowledged in this way.”
Congratulations to all of our winners, and good luck to the Gold Key awardees in the National competition!
The following students earned recognized in the 2017 Boston Globe Scholastic Art & Writing Awards (Listed by Name, Grade, Category, and Title of Work):
- Alyssa J, 12, Poetry, I, a Flower
- Andrew D, 9, Poetry, Where I'm From
- Chloe S, 9, Poetry, Talking Love
- Grace L, 11, Humor, The Christmas Ugg(h)s
- Grace L, 11, Poetry, Charting A New Course, Untitled, For My Sister
- Nicholas C, 11, Humor, Elementary School Adventures
- Michael B, 12, Photography, Bridge Patrol [shown below]
- Alyssa J, 12, Poetry, Salt
- Carmen B, 11, Flash Fiction, Coping
- Katerina G-C, 8, Critical Essay, One Idea, One Community, Countless Benefits
- Lindsay I, 11, Poetry, The City, Down by the Water, Newton's Second Law of Thermodynamics
- Maggie G, 8, Short Story, Inflection Points
- Andrew S, 9, Photography, Bancroft FTW [shown below]
- Chelsea S, 11, Critical Essay, Two Rights Make a Wrong
- Hannah B, 9, Personal Essay/Memoir, Stupidity or Growth
- Haomeng Q, 11, Critical Essay, The Beauty of Void
- Karan M, 11, Critical Essay, I Hate to be Blunt
- Laila E, 9, Personal Essay/Memoir, Fear Leads to Fear
- Lindsay I, 11, Critical Essay, Ban the Death Penalty
- Mikaela L, 11, Critical Essay, A Peace Treaty in The War on Drugs
- Mikaela L, 11, Critical Essay, Ideas Need Not Apply: Reversing Censorship on American Campuses
- Samantha P, 12, Personal Essay/Memoir, Hello: The Curious Science of Speaking
- Sarah F, 8, Critical Essay, Should Of Mice and Men be Banned?
- Yunzhuo H, 11, Critical Essay, Stop Imposing “Unpatriotic” Label to Real Patriots!
- Chelsea S, 11, Editorial Cartoon, The Fate of Political Correctness
- Michael B, 12, Photography, Brooklyn Street Life
- Ian M, 10, Photography, Abstract Black and White Mushroom
PHOTO 2. Andrew S., Grade 9, Silver Key Award in Photography "Bancroft FTW"